Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Memorial March of Edmonton

Valentine's Day wasn't a commercialized holiday for those of us attending the fifth annual Memorial March for all the Missing and Murdered Women on February 14. It was a day to show our love to all those women of Edmonton who have been taken from us - women from all cultures and walks of life. Women whose deaths are not always properly investigated or are written off by society because the woman lived a particular lifestyle.

I was honoured to be asked by the organizer to sing the opening song and was presented with an offering of tobacco (an Aboriginal custom to show respect towards someone) before I sang. I chose my song "Summer" because it is about a woman who becomes homeless. Women who are living in poverty are at a higher risk of becoming exploited or the victims of violent crime, as I explained before I sang. Here is a video of my performance, and a short video from the march. As well, here is my photo set from the event.

No comments: