Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Huge Weekend in the Heart of the City

One of the first festivals of the season took place this past Sunday. Heart of the City is a family-oriented music and art festival that has been going strong six years running. On Sunday, June 7, Giovanni Caboto Park was transformed into a place of non-stop local music, art displays, food, face painting, and wellness. In order to take part in the festival, musicians have to live, work, or volunteer in the inner city. I performed as part of the Song Circle for the third year running. The wonderful Mary Rankin hosted the circle again, and we were joined by a newcomer to the festival, Theresa Lightfoot.

We took turns playing original songs, and when one of us was performing the other two of us accompanied on percussion. I also did my stick juggling thing during the drum circle. Other wonderful acts included Painting With Ella (I cannot believe these girls are only in their mid-teens!), People's Poets, Steven Johnson and his slapping 12-string, Locution Revolution, Brothers Grim, and so many more. Here are some photos from the event. For videos, check out the YouTube channel for Boyle McCauley News. And, as for me, here we go:







The reason Heart of the City was on a Sunday this year was so as not to conflict with the McCauley Community Clean Up, also a major event in that area. Dozens of volunteers drove through the neighbourhood, collected garbage, unloaded, filled large bins, helped direct traffic, answer questions, and otherwise make sure the event went smoothly. Here are some photos.

Also taking place downtown over the weekend was the largest stret hockey tournament in the world. More than 300 teams competed as the area around Churchill Square was turned into a series of small rinks. All ages and skill levels were presented. Here are the photos.

I was so tired on Monday, I could barely stand for lengthy periods of time! However, on Tuesday I was ready to get energized by a quick trip back to Fort Edmonton. Since I have a pass, I may as well make use of it! As a result, my photo set for Fort Edmonton is expanding.

No comments: