Thursday, October 09, 2008

Day of Atonement

Today was Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. The holiest day of the Jewish year. I managed to make it to an afternoon service at my congregation, where we studied the Book of Jonah, as well as other Scriptures. Yesterday evening, after sundown when the holiday had already began, I was moved to read some Scripture before going to bed. The ones I was led to focus on were ones that we also looked at this afternoon, in particular Matthew 5 and 1 Corinthians 5 and 6. Verses that outline holiness, sin, and redemption.

On a slightly related note, I have gotten serious about my walking and am now often wearing a pedometer. I am so curious as to exactly how much walking I do - I think I vastly underrate the distance I travel. For instance, to go back and forth from the church building where we meet is just slightly short of a mile. I thought it would be a half a mile at best.

And on another note all together . . . yesterday, my parents send in their absentee ballots for the U.S. election. They voted for Obama. My parents are not exactly what you would call progressive, but they are sick of war mongers running their home country. War mongers who pick airheads to be Vice President, who could end up being President one day, in which case the world has a lot to worry about.

No comments: